News &
Science &
Tech Fund

Health Office

Ms. Katlyn Maxon, RN
(518) 393-3131 ext. 104 -

Absence from School -- Please click here for important information from our nurse regarding absence from school.

Physical Requirements

According to New York State Law, all students in Grades 7, 9, & 11, and all students that are new to ND-BG (including Grade 6), are required to have a physical exam on file in the health office. A current physical means one that has been done within the last twelve months. This will also cover the student if he/she wishes to participate in an interscholastic sports or apply for working papers.

click here for Physical Form

 Sports Forms

In order for any student to participate in an interscholastic sport they must have a current physical and a sports health update form on file in the Health Office. A current physical means an exam that was done within the last twelve months. Students will not be allowed to participate without this physical per New York State Law. The sports health update form, which is filled out by a parent, is a requirement for every sports season and is used to both update the current physical, and to give parental permission for the student to participate.

I must have both of these documents on file before sports participation begins. If they are not received within a timely manner the student will be removed from the sport until the paperwork is in. Do not give any paperwork to your child’s coach. Send in all paperwork to the attention of the Health Office or the Main Office. Thank you!

 If you have any questions please call the Health Office @ 393-3131 ext. 104.

Sports Health Update Form



To help ensure the health and safety of young athletes, the CDC developed the Heads Up: Concussion in Youth Sports initiative to offer information about concussions to coaches, parents, and athletes involved in youth sports. The Heads Up initiative provides important information on preventing, recognizing, and responding to a concussion. We have included a link here so you may have easy access to this important information.


Working Papers

Please download a copy of Form AT-17 (Application for Employment Certificate (Working Card) below. Hard copies are also located in the Main Office.

Form AT-17 (Application for Employment Certificate (Working Card) - NYS Health Site

Then follow the instructions listed below.

Form AT-17 Instructions

Part I – Parental Consent: Please fill in student’s name, age, and address. Parent/legal guardian must sign this section.

Part II – Evidence of Age: Student's proof of age will be verified by his/her health record

Part III – Certificate of Physical Fitness: A student must have a current physical on file in the health office. A physical exam must have been made within twelve months of the student’s application for an employment certificate. If a student does not have a physical exam on file, the school nurse will be unable to issue your working card.

Note: When school is not in session, attach a copy of the physical exam signed by your physician or a Certificate of Physical Fitness form from your physician’s office to the application form, and bring completed forms to the main office.


Once Part 1 is completed bring the application and the required documents to the health office to be processed.

You do not need a job to have working papers. You may apply for them at any time.


Immunization Requirements

Attached are the current immunization requirements for school entrance/attendance per the NYS Department of Health.

Immunization Requirements 

Communicable Disease

In the best interest of your children, Notre Dame - Bishop Gibbons must keep the spread of communicable disease to a minimum.

As per Schenectady School District procedure, please use the following guidelines in deciding whether or not your child should be sent to school.

1. A child must be fever free and have no signs of vomiting for at least 24 hours before returning to school.

2. A child should not be sent to school if any one of the following symptoms are present:


Severe sore throat


Excessive coughing

Nasal discharge that is green or yellow in color

Fever (99.9F Degrees or over)

Strep Throat - student must be on an antibiotic for 24 hours before returning to school

Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye) - student must be on eye drops for 24 hours before returning to school.

NOTE: If you have any questions regarding the status of your child's health, feel free to call the Nurse at 393-3131 ext. 104.


Medication Guidelines

Students are not allowed to cary prescription or over-the-counter medications (including cold medications, Motrin, Tylenol, etc.) while in school without a doctor's order and parental consent.  In the event that a student should need medication during the school day, please follow these guidelines (per NYS law):

1. The nurse must receive a written order and instructions from the student's doctor for both prescription and over-the-counter medications which indicate the dosage and frequency to be dispensed.  All medication orders must be renewed at the beginning of each school year.

2.The nurse must also have written permission from the parent to dispense the medication as prescribed by the physician.  In addition, filling out the self-directed form will enable a responsible adult other than the nurse to give the medication if the nurse is not available.  Self carry forms are also available, if indicated, for inhalers, etc.

3. Prescription medication must be in the original container and should include the student's name, name of the medication, dosage, and frequency.  Please ask your pharmacist to dispense the medication in two containers -- one for school and one for home.

4. The medication should be brought to the health office by a parent or responsible adult.

All necessary forms are on the school website, or students may stop by the Health Office and pick them up.  Feel free to call me if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Medication Forms

The following forms are to be completed for students needing medication while at school.  The first two forms are required for all medications; the third form is only necessary if the student is going to "self-carry" the medication.

Parent/Physician Form

Self-Carry Form

As Needed Form

Food Allergy Action Plan Form

If you have any questions or concerns please call the health office at 393-3131 ext. 104.